Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a (I think) mid '80's 24" 5hp Snowbird.
Starts right up, auger seems fine and it goes through the gears.
I'm wanting to get it ready for winter...
1. change the oil
(it looks low and filthy)
2. air filter
(I can't find it, missing?)
3. There seems to be a flywheel cover missing...
The teeth are exposed and it seems to me that qould be a bad thing while blowing snow.
Hard to describe without a photo. It's under the gas tank, possibly a missing electric starter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you russkat.
The guy I bought it from didn't know.
My neighbor guessed that they were edge guides...
Don't think we've had snow deep enough to use them since the big one in '78.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is likely the case that your engine does not use an air filter. Winter air has far less dust, so it air filters are unnecessary.

Regarding the flywheel cover, are you saying that the entire housing which contains the recoil starter is missing? If so, then I would not operate the engine until this is replaced. The vanes on the flywheel are very dangerous to have exposed, and they produce air movement that is directed upward to flow across the cooling fins on the cylinder head.

If this isn't the case, then maybe you're talking about gear teeth around the edge of the flywheel, maybe visible under the gas tank. If so, then your engine may have a provision for electric start, and a cap that covers this area is missing. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Pictures would be great.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Pictures would be great.
David,
I would also like to see pictures! :icon_smile_big:
I have been trying to determine when "the last Snowbird" was made, for my Snowbird page:

Snowbird Snowblowers

All I know is "early 1980's", maybe 1983, but its not at all certain.
If we could find some 1980's Snowbirds with Tecumseh date codes, that would be helpful!
thanks,
Scot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had some serious log -in troubles, but I think I've got that mess sorted out.

Now to get this snowblower in good working order.

As a newby, I've already made some mistakes.
Here's a few things that need immediate attention....
1. Changed the oil, but, I put in 30w, not 5w30 for winter. Might chang it again before the snow flys.
2. Took off the rusty muffler to hit it with the wire wheel. Problem now is getting a new gasket. The model serial numbers are completely worn down & unreadable.
The local shop says they can't help me without them.
3. Six foreword gears & one reverse? It seems to have two reverse gears & when it says it's in neutral, it won't move freely with motor off, but moves freely when in reverse.
When running, it seems to work fine.
4. Them belts look like they need changing.
The auger belt pulley when not engaged is touching the side of the blower... that's not good, correct? Without snow, how can I test it to see how she does under load?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
2. Took off the rusty muffler to hit it with the wire wheel. Problem now is getting a new gasket. The model serial numbers are completely worn down & unreadable.
The local shop says they can't help me without them.
?
The engine numbers are stamped into the top of the recoil shroud right in front of where the spark plug wire comes out of the cover.

The exhaust gasket Tecumseh part number is 35865.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine numbers are stamped into the top of the recoil shroud right in front of where the spark plug wire comes out of the cover.

The exhaust gasket Tecumseh part number is 35865.
Thanks Grunt.
Problem is they are completely worn down... except for the last digits.
4235B.
I shall try your part numbers at the local shop.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am not familiar with this model number, but I will say I have a Yardman Snowbird of the same specs (5hp, 24") as you which is physically very similar, but with a model number different from yours.

I find no info on your model number however, so records of it may be lost in time, as implements such as snowblowers are of rather low production numbers compared to other manufactured items and are very transitory in nature, and approximately 40 years after the fact, details and data can drift off with the tide of time. One year ago at this time I started to update and repair a few things that needed attention on my 1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9. What I learned may be of some benefit to you because of my perception they are virtually the same model. I suggest you give the following threads at least a quick skim.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/72610-my-1978-yardman-snowbird-31600-9-problem-1-tires-wheels.html

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/72930-my-1978-yardman-snowbird-31600-9-problem-2-fricton-wheel-aluminum-drive-plate.html

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/yard-man-snowblowers/72882-snowbird-yardman-model-details.html

Regards,
Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts