Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me his old snowblower. It runs pretty good although the chute doesn't articulate. I've sprayed it down with some penetrating oil and some silicon oil to try to get it to move. It will move a couple of inches but that's it.

I'm guessing there's a lot of rust under the chute "ring". Has anyone run into the same problem and have any ideas?

I watched a video of the chute in action and I'd like to get the old machine running.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Keep flooding it with PB Blaster and let it soak. May take awhile to work its way in, but sooner or later. Hitting it with a mallet may also help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep flooding it with PB Blaster and let it soak. May take awhile to work its way in, but sooner or later. Hitting it with a mallet may also help.
That's on the list. I have some PB Blaster around or can get some.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
@Conner,

If it is like the one above, then yes, it is cable driven, as mine is .... so when you swivel the chute, the lower drum turns as well ... that is why they have a lever to release, and then you also can move the chute throw direction angle is well.

You have to visually check the many points of action on these units to determine what is not proper, and make the necessary adjustments or repairs.

This is a photo of my 7100 unit:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been working it and I can get it to shift about six inches either way, it's currently roughly centered. It sat out under a tarp for a couple of years so it's probably pretty rusty in spots.

I found an owners manual with instructions to adjust and replace the chute cable.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
This machine I have was my fathers, and I freshened it up once ... I did have to put in a new chute cable many years ago, I just went to the hardware store and purchased a length and routed in in place of the old broke one.

Probably want to check in the lever box to free wheel it, to make sure the spring and roller where the cable goes is in proper order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts