Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 3 acre job so far, grass is around 3 feet or so, so tall some of them, they are laying sideways already. old man owns the acreage, he is in bad shape and can't work, also broke his machine, and that is how I got the job. This is the before photos, and I will post the after.
Plant Sky Tree Window Natural landscape
Plant Mower Sky Tree Lawn mower

Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Larch

This is a acre in the front, and a couple more in the back. I got stormed today and left work, but I have a lot of work to do.

·
Somebody
3,949 Posts
I sure wouldn't take it at any price with a push-mower... exercise in sore bones and equipment destruction. Especially in the wet.

Clearing the new south forty for the first time... former soba field allowed to run wild for 2~3 years.

Get one of your tractors in there, or take it down once with a steel-blade brush cutter then go back and level it out. IMO.

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sure wouldn't take it at any price with a push-mower... exercise in sore bones and equipment destruction. Especially in the wet.

i was coming from a small job, only had a mower, and thought the push behind mower looks cool infront of all that land, and was thinking of posting it here on the site. when i return ill be on my yard tractor with the 48 grass deck, again my bussiness is small time, so that said i have never take on more than 3 acres of work, always have work on small properties.

Clearing the new south forty for the first time... former soba field allowed to run wild for 2~3 years.

Get one of your tractors in there, or take it down once with a steel-blade brush cutter then go back and level it out. IMO.
your tractor look great my Bro. yes i like that.

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good on you.
Wish you could bale it for the livestock.
If I had a machine heavy duty for that... and a way to keep safe...
I would be worried about running something over and getting cut up or something.
As for pricing, I am too nice. I assume there will be a lot of raking or such.
i am a small time operator, we have never take on a job bigger than 3 acres or more, always small properties.

and wish i could make hay bailed, would be great. the owner did not care about raking, bagging, he said just cut it and leave it, just as long as the grass gets cut.

when i return i will bring my old Roper yard tractor, with the 48 grass deck, i will post more photos later., the before and after.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,007 Posts
When I was 12 I used to mow grass at a cemetery for $1 an hour.

this job looks like at least $25.

You must have an idea how much time this would take if you have been doing this for awhile.

What is your hourly rate? figure the hours and then add 25% on top for margin of error.
Remember.....nice guys finish last......it always backfires on you.

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I was 12 I used to mow grass at a cemetery for $1 an hour.

this job looks like at least $25.

You must have an idea how much time this would take if you have been doing this for awhile.

What is your hourly rate? figure the hours and then add 25% on top for margin of error.
Remember.....nice guys finish last......it always backfires on you.
thanks for the reply, this is my first big job, always small houses and properties, edit i have been cutting grass for a bit, but giving a price for acres, my experience is not very much, so i thought i reach out and ask around for help. edit

we are still talking about pricing, i just arrived there today to see his land and to see how neglected it has become.

i appreciate your words, and will take your advice.

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya as far as price... looks like a couple days work there to get it done right, add a day for the details with a trimmer.

With the cost of fuel these days I wouldn't go in there for less than five Ben Franklins.
you know it is amazing, my partner also said to me today, fuel is not cheap. and you have said destruction, yes the tension on them machines can cost plenty of money, which i do not have a lot of, so i oil and care for them.

most def couple of days work, old man could care less about trimming, that would save me a couple of bucks on strings on my trimmer, thats always a plus.

hes got more land to work, nobody would take him on because of the work involved, and that could cause their machine to break. i dont mind working like that, OranGputeh makes a lot of sense, when things backfires on you, thats solid.

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would kill for at least 3 acres of PEACE AND QUITE.
I have Kangals and Anatolian sheepdogs. Their good workers, their great Guardian dogs, but they would do a cayotes, foxes, varmints, etc.here a few my Kangal and Kangal mix's.
Dog Water Carnivore Dog breed Sky
Dog Tire Carnivore Working animal Dog breed
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Companion dog
Dog breed Carnivore Fence Fawn Mesh

I would kill for at least 3 acres of PEACE AND QUITE.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,007 Posts
are you going to have to clean up clippings also?

I probably would call a couple out of town landscapers and ask for a quote by the acre to get some kind of average ballpark figure.
If all you have is a push lawnmower you sure have your work cut out for you......unintended pun:cool:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
i have dealt with worse. usually charge about $25/h. to me it looks like what your having to deal with may be easier since it is just overgrown but likely flat. ditches and hills are not very fun or easy. i don't worry about mowers but then again i fix or build what i need. my most recent mower came from the neighbor to the left of this place. i was trimming the fence line and noticed a mower in his garbage pile. if you were doing this regularly i would also recommend building a side shoot attachment for the back that connects where the bag is. the quicker you can get the grass out from under the mower the better the mower generally performs making the job get done quicker.
Plant Tree Asphalt Grass Road surface

Plant Tree Asphalt Natural landscape Grass

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant

Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass Groundcover

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Yellow

1 - 20 of 56 Posts