Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
That's a job my Swisher Rough cut would eat up in less than an hour. It is the way to go for high grass and weeds. It is a true rotary cutter with 2 swinging blades and a stump jumper and will also chop down up to 2" saplings.
the only problem with stuff like that is the cost especially if your not doing this type of work full time. spending $2k+ to make $400 doesn't make sense. it is part of why i usually use a mower. mowers are cheap compared and it is pretty easy to recover the cost of a cheap mower. i usually get my mowers for free so other than fuel used it is usually mostly profit.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
to paraphrase Jaws: "we're gonna need a bigger boat".

i would concentrate on just creating minimal quality lawn space and allow the remainder to be wild. looks to be in a country setting. most of that acreage can be devoted to wildlife sanctuary/support. spread native wildflower seeds and milkweed seeds and feed nature!

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
the only problem with stuff like that is the cost especially if your not doing this type of work full time. spending $2k+ to make $400 doesn't make sense. it is part of why i usually use a mower. mowers are cheap compared and it is pretty easy to recover the cost of a cheap mower. i usually get my mowers for free so other than fuel used it is usually mostly profit.
Absolutely. I bought this used for $400 because I mow 4-5 acres of rough fields and it allows me to let it go and only hit it a couple times per summer.

For a small business owner it would make sense if he we're passing on a lot of bigger or overgrown jobs, wanted to pick them up, and didn't want to buy a tractor and brushhog.

·
Registered
in the garage
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
are you going to have to clean up clippings also?

I probably would call a couple out of town landscapers and ask for a quote by the acre to get some kind of average ballpark figure.
If all you have is a push lawnmower you sure have your work cut out for you......unintended pun:cool:
no clean up, just straight cuts. but hot dang! thats not even mulching no more, i would look like im collecting hay bails when i finish all my cuts ha, you guys are so right, i called around and got the same rate, 25 canadian dollars an hour.

·
Registered
in the garage
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i have dealt with worse. usually charge about $25/h. to me it looks like what your having to deal with may be easier since it is just overgrown but likely flat. ditches and hills are not very fun or easy. i don't worry about mowers but then again i fix or build what i need. my most recent mower came from the neighbor to the left of this place. i was trimming the fence line and noticed a mower in his garbage pile. if you were doing this regularly i would also recommend building a side shoot attachment for the back that connects where the bag is. the quicker you can get the grass out from under the mower the better the mower generally performs making the job get done quicker.
View attachment 199375
View attachment 199376
View attachment 199377
View attachment 199378
View attachment 199379
i called the big shot in the city, they said the same, around 25 an hour. his grass is bad, they broke a 40 inch push behind commercial mower already, i think thats how i got the call. earth is still wet here from the storm, hope i get to start my yard tractor and put on some work.

·
Registered
in the garage
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's a job my Swisher Rough cut would eat up in less than an hour. It is the way to go for high grass and weeds. It is a true rotary cutter with 2 swinging blades and a stump jumper and will also chop down up to 2" saplings.
i will need this Brush Monster machine now, looks great and real handy to have.

but for now i have my old 16HP Breaks and Scrap em with a 48 inch all steel deck, all lined up im hoping tomorrow when the weather breaks.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Get a John Deere, Al mows for free for his YouTube channel.
He mows some really tall nasty stuff.

One of his videos, there may be worse ones then this but you get the ideal.
I wonder how much work he has to do on his JD, never talks about breakdowns.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Get a John Deere, Al mows for free for his YouTube channel.
you need a similar machine to what he has because a John Deere lawn tractor would not work very great either. i know when we were clearing the lot at my aunts rescue i used my push mower and my aunts boy friend used his John Deere lawn tractor and while his would cover more ground quicker it didn't really do a very good job and just knocked down quite a bit. me with the push mower took longer but everything i cut stayed down and would make any future lawn cutting with the John Deere easier and quicker.

Absolutely. I bought this used for $400 because I mow 4-5 acres of rough fields and it allows me to let it go and only hit it a couple times per summer.
you got a smoking good deal on it. used they are usually still at least $1000 but then again look what a vertical shaft engine goes for

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
i will need this Brush Monster machine now, looks great and real handy to have.

but for now i have my old 16HP Breaks and Scrap em with a 48 inch all steel deck, all lined up im hoping tomorrow when the weather breaks.
Here it is getting busy on some woody sumac. It will chop up anything you can drag it over. Bigger stuff tears the hitch up though with the force it takes to pull it over and as you can see longer stuff hits me in the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gotten a 3 section of land work up until this point, grass is around 3 feet or thereabouts, so tall some of them, they are laying sideways as of now. elderly person claims the real esatate, he is not doing so great and can't work, likewise broke his machine, and that is the way I landed the position. This is the before photographs, and I will post the later.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts