Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought himself a Yard Works snowblower last year… Is it the same as Yard Man or Yard Machines?… :smiley-confused013:

Claude.:icon-shrug:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yard Man and Yard Machines are both made by MTD. Yard Machines representing MTD's compact lineup at 22 to 24 inches - 5.5 to 6.5 hp. though they do have a 30 inch 8 hp model in their inventory. I'm not sure who makes the Yard Works brand.

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
I believe it goes like this:

Yard Man was orginally its own company. Not sure when they started, but they were around in the 1960's.
In 1967 Yard Man purchased Snowbird.
In 1975 Yard Man was purchased by MTD, and Yard Man remains a MTD brand to this day.

Yard Machines is also a MTD brand, much newer, and probably just invented by MTD. as far as I know it was never a seperate company.

Yard Works is a Briggs & Stratton brand, probably just invented by Briggs. as far as I know it was never a seperate company.

Scot

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The Yard-Man has its origins in Jackson, Michigan around 1933, building reel type push lawn mowers. I believe they manufactured there snow blower line in Cleveland, Ohio, as that is what the address is on my original manual. The Yard-Man brand was eventually purchased by the Montgomery Ward department store, a major retailer of the brand. Yard-Man was then sold to MTD in 1975 and the Jackson factory was closed. MTD continues to produce machines under the Yard-Man name.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a little researching and it appears that Yard Works snowblowers are made by MTD.

This link kinda confirms it... :healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/71953r-eng.php

Claude. :smiley-greet025:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
I did a little researching and it appears that Yard Works snowblowers are made by MTD.

This link kinda confirms it... :healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/71953r-eng.php

Claude. :smiley-greet025:
That was 14 years ago..
Looks like Yard Works was a MTD brand name then..
But today its definately owned by Briggs..no one really understands how these names change ownership. ;)

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/innovations/push-mowers/quietpowermower.html

Scot

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sscotsman", I checked the link you posted and I'm even more confused now… :icon_scratch: I can see that they have some Yard Works products like lawnmowers but when I check for snowblowers, the ones they're showing don't look like my son's machine at all...:smiley-confused013: The one he has looks exactly like the one pictured in my previous post (which looks more like an MTD (to me at least)… same colors, air-less large diameter plastic tires, etc...

Claude.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts