Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to repair a old Yardman snowblower for my neighbor that belong to her Father years ago

This machine is so old it has studs in the tires.

I played around and got it to run pretty good. It has a Tecumseh 6 hp engine.

It need new belts for one thing. The two belts are listed as part # 40021 36" special 4L 360. The other belt is listed as 40041 40" special 4L 400.

I want to replaced these belts but not ssure of the width and what do I ask for.

The other problem is I can 't get the auger to turn. The snowblower itself does move forward and backwards and the blower runs.

What should I look for to get the auger operation going.

This snowblower must weigh a ton. Back when they made thing better and took no shortcuts.

All help is appreciated

Bandit 1886

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Those are generic garden/equipment belts. 4l is the width and profile and 400 is a 40 inch belt just drop the last zero. so the other is a 4l 36 inch.

I havent used an old school yardman in a while, have to rack my brain for the auger

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
3L is 3/8" and 4L is 1/2"

So yea, 1/2" x 36" and 1/2" x 40".

Just make sure you get power rated belts. They should say something like Kevlar reinforced cording.

Are you trying to turn the auger or the impeller? Most auger setups use a worm gear so you have to turn the impeller shaft to get the auger to turn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information on the belts. Will pick up new ones tomorrow. As for the auger, I found the shear pin missing. Do you know what size I need. I kind of measure the hole for it and it looks like 5/16 d x 1 and 7/8 long. Is there more info I need to get a couple of these.

Does this snowblower (snowbird) really have any value anymore. This think must weigh 200-300lbs or so

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Thanks for the information on the belts. Will pick up new ones tomorrow. As for the auger, I found the shear pin missing. Do you know what size I need. I kind of measure the hole for it and it looks like 5/16 d x 1 and 7/8 long. Is there more info I need to get a couple of these.

Does this snowblower (snowbird) really have any value anymore. This think must weigh 200-300lbs or so
Value is an unknown, what's valuable to one is junk to another.
As far as sheer bolts, go to wherever you get your parts and look for 5/16" sheer bolts in the right length or slightly longer. I usually buy mine at places like Fleet Farm in boxes of 6+. Note three are also some 1/4" and some ones with pins, just find those that look right for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
If its not working, its worth $25 to $50.
If everything is working and functional, its worth about $200 to $300, depending where you live..

To 99.99% of people, it's just "another old snowblower"..slightly higher quality than most, but nothing super-rare, unusual, or valuable..it was made in the late 1960's, 1967 to 1970 timeframe.

Being a Snowbird, that gives it a small "coolness factor"..but there are very people who even know, or care, that it's cool! ;)

Scot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Does anybody have blown view of the diagram of the belts and pulleys? I have a manual but it does not clearly show how to adjust the settings.

I can get it to go forward but not in reverse. The old belts were cracks and it did not want to go into reverse very well.

The reverse belt does not use the v part of the belt but it uses the flat part otherwards inside out.

Would appreciate any replies regarding this matter

Thanks

Banddit 1886

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yardman 7020-0 snowblower

I received your pictures. I have taken two (2) pictures and would like you to look at them. I have seem to have put them on correctly.

I can not see where I can send pictures on the reply thread

Banddit 1886

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
under my post use the reply button, not the quick reply.

after you hit the reply button you will see the window to type in. right above you will see icons, look for the little paperclip ( just to thr right of the smile face) and click on it. follow the promps to choose a file (yours) the hit upload and post reply

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yardman 7020-0 snowblower

Might be too small but we can try:
Still having problems with getting the machine to go into reverse.

When I move old belt that was cracked and worn, I noticed that it looked like the belt was on backwards. After looking at the motor pulley that was v-shape and looking at the big pulley on bottom of machine and the idler pulley they were flat across the end. So I put the new belt on the same way.

When I try to adjust the adjustment pulley to tightened the tension, it hits on the motor pulley.

What I doing wrong. The new belt look exactly the same as the old belt and says 1/2 x40

Can you advise me anything on this problem

Thanks

Bandddit 1886

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 1995? Yardman snowblower Model DOM-4305-R, 24-inch with traction crawler tracks and a Tecumseh HSK70-130285S. Engine is blown and looking for what replacement will work for it. Also looking for an owners manual for this machine. Great machine worth saving if I can find an engine!

·
Registered
864 Posts

Snowbirds were a very sturdy design and as good as any, of that time period. They will throw snow with the best of them, and better than many of them. I'd be compelled to pay $100-$125 for a 26" model in that condition, but preferably less as they usually need to be gone through. I picked up a 7040-0 with no spark for $30 by sheer luck. Had it been running it would have been $100 or more.

Those studded hard tires get some amazing traction, considering solid tires usually do not. The heavy weight and skinny studded tires makes the machine inherently tractable.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Still having problems with getting the machine to go into reverse.

When I move old belt that was cracked and worn, I noticed that it looked like the belt was on backwards. After looking at the motor pulley that was v-shape and looking at the big pulley on bottom of machine and the idler pulley they were flat across the end. So I put the new belt on the same way.

When I try to adjust the adjustment pulley to tightened the tension, it hits on the motor pulley.

What I doing wrong. The new belt look exactly the same as the old belt and says 1/2 x40

Can you advise me anything on this problem

Thanks

Bandddit 1886

be sure to lube up all those idler pulleys and takeup springs, etc. on the belt assembly. the belts run the flat side on the idler/tensioner pulleys, but should have the tapered side in the big bottom pulley for both belts. there is a specific procedure, first you adjust one setting, then the other, and it's marked on the back of the machine where the belts go. also you must move the adjustments to a specific point. the one critical adjustment on my machine 7040-0 is made on the slider bracket, located on the lower left side corner of the machine outside the belt cover.

bandit 1886, does that mean Winchester 1886 ? if so you have impeccable taste.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts