Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for my long first post!

My 8.5hp Tecumseh powered YardWorks snowblower ( model 31AE6GKG515 ) is running great as I rebuilt the carb two years ago, but last season keeps throwing the auger belt once the auger touches any snow! It will idle and turn the auger fine with no load. I adjusted the belts last season to no avail, but didn't need it again so just put it away for the summer. Finally got it apart yesterday to get it working for this season now.

I found the impeller bushing stiff as heck and grinding like stone and barely turning anymore. It looks like the bearing has been pushed into the mounting plate to far and both are garbage. The numbers I found for them are 741-0309 (also shows as 941-0309) for the bearing, and 790-00075 for the retaining plate for it. I can't find either of these up here in Canada so far.

The other issue I'm having is the belts are getting old, so I probably should switch them even just to have a spare on hand, but I'm having trouble finding the right ones as well. The auger belt is toothed and missing 2-3 teeth and getting hard, and the drive belt has a couple cracks on the drive surface and is hardening up as well.

I have two versions of the owners manual and it lists different belts in each though! I do not know if the belts are original as I was given this blower by a friend and its older. The only number I see is on the drive belt and it's 754-04088 and the actual measurements I made were 33"x1/4". The MTD site lists totally different belt that's 4" shorter and wider, and the second manual I have lists 754-0367 but says its 34.4" so I don't think it's right.
For the auger belt the manuals both list 754-04050 and one lists 954-04050A, but from what I've found they are the same so I think this is fine. I measured this belt to be 34 1/2"x1/2" though which is 1/2" shorter then the manuals list.

Any ideas where I can find these parts in Canada, especially the impeller bearing and it's mounting plate?? MTD Parts Canada doesn't show them in stock.

Think fixing this bearing/plate issue will fix the belt tossing? The impeller assembly turns nice and smooth out of the housing, so I'm thinking it will.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone has in getting the parts and/or fixing this issue, and again sorry for the long first post!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture of the bearing/plate (bearing is pressed into it bad and has bent plate!):

20201109_050452.jpg

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ebay.ca

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Manual = 3rd link here: Yardworks Snow Blower - Model 31AE6GKG515 | MTD Parts

Part 21 741-0309 Self-aligning bearing

Part 23 790-00075 Bearing Housing 1.85 ID

Used Bearing + Housing

Maybe get the belts at an auto parts store?
Part 58 754-04050 Belt .5 x 35.0" Lg.
Part 59 754-04088 Belt .25 x 33.0" Lg.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
welcome to the SBF.
looks like tabora found the help you needed, that your machine is a rebranded mtd so parts interchange with ease
good luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
your bearing is here for $19.99 part #741-0309

i have ordered parts from this place many times.....

you shouldn't need to replace the plate...

or amazon.....

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The reason it is throwing the belt is because it is old/worn. Probably stretched some too.
Having a good bearing helps too.

As long as you have the augers out and are buying parts, I would replace the bucket bearings too.
If they are worn the whole impeller shaft and augers wobble some.
If they are like mine all they are is a piece of plastic. Looks like yours are too?
Just did mine and what a difference it made.

Reactions: Clutch Cargo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eBay wants exchange, import charges, duties, shipping, taxes etc. Cheapest I was able to find it all there is about $160 CDN all in. :( Amazon I don't have any luck buying from up here and most places showed stuff as unavailable and similar pricing to eBay.

I saw that place jerryvvv, but wasn't sure if it was legit, so it's good to hear it is, thanks! I will email them to see if they can get everything. The plate is bent, so figured as it's only worth $9 CDN I'd replace it while I have it all apart.

your bearing is here for $19.99 part #741-0309

i have ordered parts from this place many times.....

you shouldn't need to replace the plate...

or amazon.....

Local places want $25-30+ for each belt alone! Why are prices so stupidly high up here?! :(
One place I went to today said they should be able to get the plate + bearing and boths belts for about $75 CDN tax in, which is fine to me. They are gonna call me tomorrow and let me know how long it will take to get. If not I'll see what c-equipment.com has like jerryvvv mentioned...

Thanks all for the help so far :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
eBay wants exchange, import charges, duties, shipping, taxes etc. Cheapest I was able to find it all there is about $160 CDN all in.
Wow, that's crazy! All 4 new items including shipping to me here in Maine totals only $36.08 USD. If you can't get them yourself up there and want to purchase them and have them shipped here, I'd be happy to repack them and send them on to you at cost. I've done it before for others au nord de la frontière...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate that offer greatly tabora, thanks very much. I'll give this local place a shot first to get them as the $70-75 CDN price they gave me seemed reasonable enough, and I emailed the place jerryvvv mentioned too... Thanks :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
that plate is SUPPOSED to be bent,

your new one will bend when you install it too

the bend is acting like a "spring" to hold the bearing tight
Crap, really? Both shops I went to yesterday said the bearing is almost pushed through the plate as you can see in the picture and it has a weird bend in the one side. One suggested flattening it out (other then the lip the bearing sits in.)

This bearing is almost pushed through plate on mine:

VS this one in good condition:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think you are making this way too hard. There is nothing special about the bearing or that plate. Farm equipment couldn't be maintained without a good supply of those. The bearing is just a 3/4" spherical AG bearing and the plate is just a flat spherical 2 eared bearing flange although you may need to clearance for that notch slightly or adjust the bolt center to center. Head down to your local bearing house or well stocked auto or farm supply and a good parts man should be able to set you up. If they stock the bearing with the locking collor, that's OK just don't use the collar. [Often the bearing with the collar is less expensive that the one without.] Volume sales can lower the price. I've given you some common numbers to start with but confirm dimensions before you order. Take the belts to the auto parts store and have them measured on a belt stretcher.

RA012RRB

47MST

Reactions: captchas

·
Registered
402 Posts
This chart may help someone in the future, Take the P off the front of the number and you have an easily cross- referenceable part number. Also note that the letter G in the part number indicates a greaseable bearing. This chart is only for the bearings with the curved outer body AKA spherical.

AG bearing chart.

Reactions: captchas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks deezlfan. I'm trying to do this properly so I don't have to redo it again and again or replace the machine, not making it to hard I don't think. "local bearing house or well stocked auto or farm supply" places up here there aren't common at all that I can find. I can only dream of having the availability of parts for projects like these and automotive ones I like to work on like they do down there in the USA. :/
I have the part numbers I need now so just a matter of finding them without paying $160 CDN+!! ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
"local bearing house or well stocked auto or farm supply" places up here there aren't common at all that I can find.
Well EVERY economy in the world rides on bearings and it is inconceivable that you can't find a supplier..

I gave you an alternative to paying $160cdn and if you want to dismiss it within seconds of reading it, that's fine. The info I supplied will help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I didn't dismiss it at all. Thank to the people that replied I know what to look for now, so am doing that, but trying to keep it reasonably priced as well which I can't do on aBay/Amazon up here it seems. So I need to search around...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks again jerryvvv :) I'm just waiting on a local place to give me info on if they can get this stuff, if not I'll be ordering from c-epuipment as they were nice enough to email me that they had all these parts...

You guys have been a huge help, thank you!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts