Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok thanks again jerryvvv :) I'm just waiting on a local place to give me info on if they can get this stuff, if not I'll be ordering from c-epuipment as they were nice enough to email me that they had all these parts...

You guys have been a huge help, thank you!

they are a great place, i have ordered from there 10 or more times, the guys name is Bernard

they ship canada post and provide a tracking number

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I agree with Jerry, they are probably the best Canadian online parts suppliers for small equipment parts.
I ordered a muffler, belt, friction disc, impeller bearing, auger and axle bushings for my 52 year old Ariens this past spring. Prices are quite reasonable and shipping was one or two weeks. All items seemed to be of decent quality.

Reactions: Icarus

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry in advance for my long first post!

My 8.5hp Tecumseh powered YardWorks snowblower ( model 31AE6GKG515 ) is running great as I rebuilt the carb two years ago, but last season keeps throwing the auger belt once the auger touches any snow! It will idle and turn the auger fine with no load. I adjusted the belts last season to no avail, but didn't need it again so just put it away for the summer. Finally got it apart yesterday to get it working for this season now.

I found the impeller bushing stiff as heck and grinding like stone and barely turning anymore. It looks like the bearing has been pushed into the mounting plate to far and both are garbage. The numbers I found for them are 741-0309 (also shows as 941-0309) for the bearing, and 790-00075 for the retaining plate for it. I can't find either of these up here in Canada so far.

The other issue I'm having is the belts are getting old, so I probably should switch them even just to have a spare on hand, but I'm having trouble finding the right ones as well. The auger belt is toothed and missing 2-3 teeth and getting hard, and the drive belt has a couple cracks on the drive surface and is hardening up as well.

I have two versions of the owners manual and it lists different belts in each though! I do not know if the belts are original as I was given this blower by a friend and its older. The only number I see is on the drive belt and it's 754-04088 and the actual measurements I made were 33"x1/4". The MTD site lists totally different belt that's 4" shorter and wider, and the second manual I have lists 754-0367 but says its 34.4" so I don't think it's right.
For the auger belt the manuals both list 754-04050 and one lists 954-04050A, but from what I've found they are the same so I think this is fine. I measured this belt to be 34 1/2"x1/2" though which is 1/2" shorter then the manuals list.

Any ideas where I can find these parts in Canada, especially the impeller bearing and it's mounting plate?? MTD Parts Canada doesn't show them in stock.

Think fixing this bearing/plate issue will fix the belt tossing? The impeller assembly turns nice and smooth out of the housing, so I'm thinking it will.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone has in getting the parts and/or fixing this issue, and again sorry for the long first post!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks everyone. This local place is supposed to have all the parts Monday (today) and the bearing plate on Wednesday. Their prices were decent ($10 more then c-equipment) and they are local in case I have any issues. I'll give this a chance and see how it works Wednesday and if things fall thru I'll go with c-equipment for sure as he was helpful via email :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They got everything but the bearing plate. They said it was back ordered and don't know when its going to be available. I wish they had called me and let me know :(

I should have just ordered this all from c-equipment in the start when you guys said they were good, instead of waiting for these local ppl anyways (at first they said Monday, so figured give them a chance)... :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Should I worry about the new smaller belt being about 1mm thinner and narrower then the old one?! It's a Stens 33x1/4" belt (tiny thin!), but was surprised the old one was a bit more beefy...

I need figure out this bolt that broke as well when I seperated the halves to get at everything, it is not coming out with acetone/atf mix, looks like I'll most likely have to drill it out :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got cleaning up and greasing and oiling everything today and by the time I knew it, it was all back together with the new belts and bearing with the old bearing retainer plate (I flattened it out)!

All seems good so far. but it seemed fine before as well until it hit any snow! :/

Only thing I'm worried about now is when you pull the auger handle in to engage it, it makes a squawk noise briefly. I tried all sorts of adjustments to the auger belt and it still does it.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, thanks. It never did it before so wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt it...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Should I worry about the new smaller belt being about 1mm thinner and narrower then the old one?! It's a Stens 33x1/4" belt (tiny thin!), but was surprised the old one was a bit more beefy...
yes i would be concerned

which belt are you referring to?....drive or auger?

a belt that is more narrow, even by the slightest amount, will sit further down in the pulley, this causes more slack in the belt and it may not be tight enough,

this is the reason i always buy OEM belts from the manufacturer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yes i would be concerned

which belt are you referring to?....drive or auger?

a belt that is more narrow, even by the slightest amount, will sit further down in the pulley, this causes more slack in the belt and it may not be tight enough,

this is the reason i always buy OEM belts from the manufacturer
Yes, the auger belt. I tried adjusting it many ways and it makes the noise every time.

The auger belt looks to be as good as the old one (size wise,) it was the drive belt that is slightly smaller.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
We were supposed to get 10-20cm of snow but it ended up being just wet slush :/ lol... Still don't know if this is working right :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I guess I won't worry about this noise till something breaks? I've adjusted it till it doens't turn to snug and it still squawks engaging the auger...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yes, just wasn't sure if I should worry or not. I've tried running it for about an hour now off/on now and its still there.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts