Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Ariens 5524 that won't start. Ran last year and put it away with Sta-bil. This year it won't go. First thing I thought of was a bad carb. Cleaned it up but didn't help. Put on a new carb. Zilch. I have spark, primer works,valves are not locked up and gas seems to be flowing to the carb. And it seems to have compression. What am I missing? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts

What do you mean by "seems to have compression" ?
Pull the cord slowly, there should be definite resistance on compression stroke.
Crank it over with full choke full throttle with plug wire off..

Then remove plug. Is it wet with gas?

·
Registered
871 Posts
if ur sure u have spark, then its a fuel delivery problem.
how do u know the primer works? check fuel shutoff valve, fuel filter, fuel lines, intake manifold leaks, maybe flooding.
shoot some starter fluid, carb or brake cleaner into carb and or spark plug hole and see if it starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. By there seems to be compression, I mean that when I try to pull start it, It seems to have a normal amount of resistance. The plug gets wet the few times That I was overzealous with the primer. And then at that point gas also drips from the butterfly area of the carb. With the plug out when I was testing for spark, I checked and could see that the valves were moving freely. I have tried probably every possible throttle and choke position there is. When I prime it with the plug out should I be able to see fuel going into that plug area? Like I said the plug gets wet but I don't know if I have actually seen the fuel spray in there. Both the old and new carbs act the same but is it possible that the fuel is getting into the carb but not into the combustion area? Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I have sprayed gas, starter fluid etc. into those areas but it doesn't help. I know it has spark but acts as though it doesn't. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
if it has strong spark, you can dry plug off , spray a little ether in plug hole , replace plug , don't do anything else and try to start.

if it almost starts then its' something else. either flooding or fuel delivery.

if you are sure it has fuel, turn key on, choke OFF and throttle on FAST and keep pulling cord until it starts.

pros: correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Replace the plug.

The insulator is almost certainly cracked and the spark never makes it to the tip of the plug.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
You said the plug "gets wet". It almost has to be weak spark then. Another thing I would check would be the timing key being the least bit moved.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
if all else fails, it is a timing issue....pull the shroud, and check that the keyway isn't sheared on the flywheel....seen it happen.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Also make sure your choke plate is actually functioning probably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Follow up

Thanks for all the info. Snowblower is working now. Found that mice has set up camp under the shroud. Theychewed through the plug wire. Although I had some spark it was not enough. Put on a new coil and that got it going again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts