Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back when I was a kid, we used to have snow and cold weather until 2nd week of April. March would warm up slightly, but it would be cold at night and occasional snow into April.

over the years that has changed to March being the changeover month, i.e. by the 2nd week of March, we generally don't get any more snow.

what's the cutoff for your area ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pretty much the same story. This year is a big anomaly, but pretty much what I remember as the norm in the fifties and sixties. It's been a long time since we had such prolonged cold combined with so much snow.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we got a lot of precip, but not as much actual SNOW as last year. the year started here with a lot of rainstorms trying to get beer muscles and act as snowstorms. last year we had more snow in depth.
it was pretty cold here too, but we've also had more prolonged cold, and lower temps, in the past. I remember a few days at -25 and -30 here within the past 10 years, and we didn't get that cold this year.
last year it was all over in March. I never ran a snowblower or plow again in the month of March last year.
we're supposed to get snow tonite and tomorrow, but we'll see...

·
Registered
330 Posts
not sure of the cutoff but they calling for somesnow tonight through the morning. Possibly up to 8 inches.

I just wish whoever is wishing for all this snow because they wanna use their new machines, just STOP!!!! Let's save some of the white fluffy stuff for next year.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Snow season will end when mother nature is ready to let it end. That's just the way it is. I've seen good 10" heavy wet storms the 3rd week in april in NH/MA area back in the 90's so it's a crapshoot really. Some years are just better than others.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't mind a good March blizzard 12" or more, just to use my big 3 stage machines within their work envelope.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've seen it start snowing as early as Oct 4th and as late as early May. As a rule though November through the end of April.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've seen it start snowing as early as Oct 4th and as late as early May.
The early snows don't last, but when they are big, wet accumulations that happen while leaves are on the trees, that can be disastrous. The Oct 4 storm a few decades back took down more trees and branches than any hurricane or tornado I have ever seen.

This storm will be winter's last hurrah for us, and I am quite ready for the big melt that will start next week.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
It just never seems to end soon enough. :(

But I'd rather have snow than cold. Woke up to -13 :eek:
Like PS93 says, it really is the "frozen tundra".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts