Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My YS624 has leaked oil for couple of seasons. Now i have to refill oil between every use.

Im thinking of fixing the leak after snow melts, but i do not know where the leak is coming from. Is there a common place for leak? Here is result after one hour of blowing snow:

Upper side of engine seems to be clean:

Is there a gasket set for rebuilding the engine?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Disclaimer- I dont have much experience with Yamaha.
Curious what caused the crack that was welded to the component on the top forward piece.did whatever caused that crack transfer to the engine case in that location?
To pinpoint the source of the leak requires a really good cleaning of the old leaked oil.
I don't have it anymore or remember who made it, but after a good cleaning and drying an aerosol powder was applied to the suspect area. The initial wetting of the powder after very short runs would help determine the actual source

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks like it may be leaking from the cover gasket above the oil fill. Are any of the screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It probably has a main seal leak. Remove the flywheel and check the crank seal, they have been known to leak there from the seal blowing out. It will then blow back to the back of the engine from the cooling air and drip down all over the place.
Check the crank seal behind the pulley on the PTO side also.
Check your crankcase cover bolts for tightness as they can come lose and it will leak from the cover gasket.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That cracked bracket is a common issue with older Yamahas that have rubber engine mounts. The real early ones i.e. mid~late 80s models were solid mounted to the chassis like most snowblowers, later models (especially the 828s) switched to engines with rubber mounts. This helped a lot with reduced vibrations but the front bracket seems to crack due to fatigue.

Looking at the pictures it seems like your issue is a loose bolt and bad crankcase gasket. This could happen due to the vibrations, I have ran into this issue with the GX motors found on the Honda machines. Usually re-torquing the crankcase cover bolts helps but if the leak is severe enough I just install a new gasket.

I'd try to torque those crankcase bolts first, 17.2 or 18 ft/lb is the torque on most M8 bolts, confirm it with the service manual first, if this doesnt help then change the crankcase gasket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today was wet snow. After working for two hours ,oil level dropped half centimeter. I toor the belt guard off and looked if I couls apot the leak. The belt guard inner side is covered in splashed oil. Heres images

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts