Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a YS642 with tracks that came to me
in disrepair. I mostly used GregNL’s post HERE to inspire me to repair the odds and ends. It was missing numerous parts but most importantly - the carburetor was toast. I hunted high and low for a replacement Mikuni carburetor. I found a handful for north of $300. For those that know, the words Mikuni translate to non-existent super expensive relic that Indiana Jones would risk his neck for.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I figured there had to be something similar and finally I found it. A Wisconsin Robin WI-390 on eBay. LINK. While this was designed for 8 or more horsepower engines, it was quite similar. I bought one thinking it would be a plug and play. Not quite. But also not horrible.
Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Gun accessory Gas

Blue Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

1: most important the studs that run through the old carb need to be removed. I replaced them with bolts. The holes in the new carb don’t line up perfect, so you’ll need to make the holes about 5mm narrower. A drill press makes this a easy task and the aluminum is soft.
2: I welded the throttle attachment and drilled a hole to match the old. The Wisconsin Robin hole is much larger and did not accommodate the linkage without falling out.
3: The cover plate will need modification to make room for the new choke lever. It’s orientated 90deg CCW from the old.
4:The provided fuel line will need to be cut shorter to fit in the carb cover plate.

I still need to adjust the mixture and possibly put a smaller jet in… but I’ll tinker with it through the winter months as I have time. Hopefully this will help someone that has a trashed carb but the snowblower still runs like a champ. Cheers.
Adam

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a YS642 with tracks that came to me
in disrepair. I mostly used GregNL’s post HERE to inspire me to repair the odds and ends. It was missing numerous parts but most importantly - the carburetor was toast. I hunted high and low for a replacement Mikuni carburetor. I found a handful for north of $300. For those that know, the words Mikuni translate to non-existent super expensive relic that Indiana Jones would risk his neck for.

View attachment 181132
I figured there had to be something similar and finally I found it. A Wisconsin Robin WI-390 on eBay. LINK. While this was designed for 8 or more horsepower engines, it was quite similar. I bought one thinking it would be a plug and play. Not quite. But also not horrible.
View attachment 181133

View attachment 181134
1: most important the studs that run through the old carb need to be removed. I replaced them with bolts. The holes in the new carb don’t line up perfect, so you’ll need to make the holes about 5mm narrower. A drill press makes this a easy task and the aluminum is soft.
2: I welded the throttle attachment and drilled a hole to match the old. The Wisconsin Robin hole is much larger and did not accommodate the linkage without falling out.
3: The cover plate will need modification to make room for the new choke lever. It’s orientated 90deg CCW from the old.
4:The provided fuel line will need to be cut shorter to fit in the carb cover plate.

I still need to adjust the mixture and possibly put a smaller jet in… but I’ll tinker with it through the winter months as I have time. Hopefully this will help someone that has a trashed carb but the snowblower still runs like a champ. Cheers.
Adam
I would have made an adapter plate out of uhmw and put a 13 dollar honda clone carb on it, but, thats just me

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
@ 10.00 to 15.00, just replace it if needed ... no biggie ... :)

My last one I used was like 10.59 with free shipping off eBay ... a no brainer ... runs great ... just sold that unit it went on ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ 10.00 to 15.00, just replace it if needed ... no biggie ... :)

My last one I used was like 10.59 with free shipping off eBay ... a no brainer ... runs great ... just sold that unit it went on ...
Curious if anyone else has used the Wisconsin Robin carb, or a similar one? This was my choice because of the position of the throttle attachment and also because it ‘looked like’ the other one. Not really the best scientific method. I also had to cut custom gaskets which cost $3 and some time.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It looks like OP's was only $25... I'd consider the extra few dollars well-spent supporting the business of my neighbors.

But that's just me. 🖖 :)
i agree, I didn't click on the link and assumed that he paid much more than that replacement.
for 25 dollars i would have done the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts