Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yard Machine 24" that had a 10HP Tecumseh engine back in 1997 from Sams Club. The only thing I ever did to it was change the oil and replaced a valve stem that eventually split. Sold it after 16 years a few years ago and it was still in sound shape. A little bit of oil burning from the engine but nothing drastic, just enough to smell it when using. I bought an Ariens 24" Platinum to replace it, worst decision I made in a long time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My current 2016 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
1991 Honda HS828. Never used a snow blower before.

Got a piece of property with a 450' driveway and two parking areas, then 600' of paths to the woodshed, LP tank and compost pile.

It's still going strong after 25 years. 30-50 hours per year, pretty wet snow a lot of the times.

I do think brushing the snow off after every use, and storing it in a garage (unheated) does help prolong the life.

I painted the augers, chute liner and inside auger bucket once, about 4 years ago, other than maintenance, I wash it once at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We moved into a new home in 1993. I bought a new Toro CCR2000 and a new Toro lawnmower that year. The lawnmower, for whatever reason, still runs pretty good...

·
Registered
773 Posts
We moved into a new home in 1993. I bought a new Toro CCR2000 and a new Toro lawnmower that year. The lawnmower, for whatever reason, still runs pretty good...
what happened to the ccr2000?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
it died, then consumed a bunch of $$$ parts and things went down hill from there...

There are a couple threads on those machines and how expensive they get when they're in need.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I got my first when I purchased my house in 2014, Woman I purchased from was a widow and the blower had been sitting since her husband died 5 years earlier so I offered her $150 for it, A bit more than I should have but she was a good friends in-law and I got the house cheap. It was the beginning of me working on these things too. Thus how I got my Snapper 6/22 which I'm still using until I either get the ariens mess fixed or I buy a new larger one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first one I purchased is my current snowblower, a Snapper 8265 which I purchased new in 1996.
The first snowblower I used was a Toro Power Handle with a snowblower attachment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the early '80s I bought a Ariens 5hp 24" width. Ran well but had 6" tires and chains. Was a bear to try to get traction with the thing. After a year or so I was given a 24" 7 hp John Deere with 10 inch tires. You could lock the auger lever and latch the drive handle on and that blower would go through the toughest EOD piles. Used it till the mid 90's when I bought a 11 hp 28" John Deere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had 2 Jacobsen Sno-Bursts given to me, 1 after the other, from relatives, so after almost 10 years of those, a 2-cycle single stage MTD (from the local Tru-Valu hardware store) was a big step up. It had a terrible design problem - the upper part of the metal body casing had a circular cutout for access to the spark plug, with a plastic plug cover. But the engine was too tall / the cover was too low, and sometimes, the spark would short out against the edge of this cutout. I think 1 time it even sliced through the spark cable. I couldn't take it any more, so after maybe 5 years, back to the hardware store, and they had MTD's answer (Yard-Man model E285) to that problem - basically the same unit (4 cycle Tec 5 HP now) but the entire upper part of the body was now a very bright yellow plastic, so no more spark shorting out. The metal part is green - so yellow/green like JD but with the wrong shades of yellow & green. I still have it & it works as well as it ever did, but the Ariens 2-stage is the primary one now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought an MTD gold 5.5hp 24" about 2003. I had it a few years and sold it to my buddy. It ran great until about 2 years ago when it started to suffer from valve issues. We filed some clearance back but it was a temporary fix and needs an engine swap in short order. He hasn't tried to start it this year and I don't know if it even has enough compression to fire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first blower was a brand new Yardman 7/24 with a Tecumseh snow king.
Was a very reliable machine. Had it from 2000-2008 and only replaced a few belts and one friction ring while I had it.

I sold it in 2008 to get a bigger machine with a larger hp motor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
1996 MTD 5/22 bought new in October 1995. I still have it and runs great. Nothings been replaced on it except I put some new tires on it this last fall and it will get a new carb this summer.

I still have my first two shovels from 1989. The corn scoop I quit using when I got the blower but the other one is one of those curved ones that works good for pushing snow in to piles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My first and only machine so far is a Yamaha YS-624 I purchased used for $300 in Nov 2014. With a limited budget, or at least how my mind works pay less now and worry about the rest later, I couldn't justify dropping $1000+ for something shiny and new that I'd really want. I had a decision to make, use it in the current condition for the winter that was fast approaching, or rebuild it. Of course, like a kid on Christmas the latter ensued which can be see here in my Yamaha YS624 Rebuild.

During the second storm this season in CT I found myself outside shoveling and ranting out loud to myself. 48 hours later I had purchased a Ariens Platinum 24 SHO EFI. 72 hours after that it was delivered and I was craving a real storm:)
I laughed a little reading this as I know exactly what you mean. Here I had this perfectly good machine rebuilt, both while living at my apartment and recently at the new place and it wouldn't start. I'd be cursing and so aggravated with each large dump of snow the only weapon for removal was a shovel. No doubt I loved the exercise but I was nearing my limits as it consumed so much time. Thankfully everything is up and running and I can't wait for the next big snowfall!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
1983 Craftsman 8/25. Lasted 25 years till I sold it in 2008 and replaced it with another craftsman (its a Husqvarna ST 227 but with red paint on it) which had power steering and a headlight. Still using that one, but have added an impeller kit, a throttle control plate to the B&S engine, gas shutoff valve and heated grips and an extended oil drain pipe out the back of the engine instead of using the side drain which leaks oil all over the wheel clutch mechanism and generally makes a big mess. I also put on an extension to the deflector chute to try and keep the blowback to a minimum. Jury is still out on that one, since we haven't had any serious snowfalls in the last two years, so far.

If I can find the right alternator, think I'll put a stereo system on it in spring.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My first and only machine so far is a Yamaha YS-624 I purchased used for $300 in Nov 2014.
Just out of curiosity, what if anything, did your wife have to say when that project moved into her kitchen, leaving out the foul language of course.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what if anything, did your wife have to say when that project moved into her kitchen, leaving out the foul language of course.....
The joys of flying solo, no arguments, no compromise, just a lot of doing. Hence the vintage Pepsi cooler and tool box liquor cabinet as well, lol.

Now, I may have said a lot myself with stubbed toes, tripping, stepping on random bolts or driving shards of metal or strands of brass wire from wheel brushes in my feet. No pain no gain I suppose. I kinda miss working on it in the confined space, a memory made in the apartment for sure. Some days I wonder why I ever moved. :unsure:

It's nice to have a shed but moving up a level of adulting is certainly more expensive with home ownership.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A White Outdoor 12hp 32" bucket, father in law exchanged it to me vs a car trailer I had. A monster, even though it was made of cheap thin sheet metal, nothing stood in the way of this machine. lasted me bout 4 yrs before I sorta broke it. Long story short, I split some logs a day before a big snowfall and evidently didn't clean up properly. Unfortunately, it ate a big chip of maple, once it hit the impeller, it jammed and stalled the engine. Bent impeller, bent impeller shaft, shattered impeller bearing, even the keyway on the engine output shaft almost sheared off, sold it dirt cheap as is.

*sigh*

It was a yr old when I got it, those freaking machine were sold $2200 (CAD)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 75 Posts