Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
368 Posts
@soyabean Similar opinion here. But then I’ve never understood people who manicure lawns either. Life’s just too short to worry.
How many people will lay on their death bed wondering if they let too much dust land on an uncovered blower. Remember this is a machine that usually manages to cover itself in snow and ice during use, and is mainly used during the darkest time of the year, and by a guy wrapped up in his oldest and least stylish winter clothes.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
I have a shed so I don't use a cover. I worry about mice building nests in the machine if I put a cover on it. They built nests in my lawn tractor, but have left the snow blower alone for 8 years so far.

Reactions: Juniorman

· Registered
57 Posts
Mine is in an attached garage. The auger and scraper rests on a rubber floor mat. I use a medium size towel that is a small bit oily. I cut out a U shaped area where the chute is and that's my cover all year. My riding mower gets an old comforter draped over it.

· Registered
362 Posts
She sits quietly waiting for her duty assignment, in her special place, in my attached garage. Sometimes when I go out to get onto my car I hear her whispering "is there snow coming tomorrow"? I have to tell her no .... but soon. She smiles and wiggles her tires.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
I use a fitted sheet, not a plastic tarp. It keeps the dust off and the machine clean without trapping humidity. The lawn tractor gets a queen size fitted sheet in the winter as well. Same reason. I'm not too worried about protection from impacts.

In the background of the chipper you can see the lawn tractor wearing it's hoodie.

View attachment 207427
same here

· Registered
2004 troybilt
65 Posts
Do you use a cover on your snowblower during the off season while stored in your garage?

After end of season maintenance and cleaning, I can see a cover being useful to keep the blower clean and protect it from impacts, but it could also trap humidity and promote rusting.
mine always stayed in basement year round never covered---past couple years since moving it has to stay outside, i have a heavy piece of rubber that i throw over it ,too heavy to worry about wind blowing it off

· Registered
865 Posts
All of the responders seem to have a garage or at least a shed. What do people like me that have to leave their machines out side do?
I grew up in a house with no garage and no shed. The only piece of OPE we had was a lawn mower. That was covered with an old shower curtain held down with a few bricks or rocks. The mowers back then (1960's) didn't rust as easily as they do now. At least that's what I remember of it.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
All of the responders seem to have a garage or at least a shed. What do people like me that have to leave their machines out side do?
What is a good cover? I tried grill covers but they last a year or two at best.
A cover should breath, google snow blower cover?
Here is a cheap one, dollar wise. Spend more for a better one?

Reactions: HushHouse254
21 - 40 of 45 Posts