Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
Learned the hard way on cheap shop tools.

drill bits for example. I need HSS bits so I pay for quality. bought a Drill Hog set....was disappointed and told them so ....so they sent me their "Premium" set and was disappointed with them as well.

My Dad gave me some quality HSS bits that work great. Don't know the brand.

If anyone here has a recommendation for great drill bits , let me know.......and not ones that work great for 3-4 times and then get dull ( I do use cutting oil ). I don't need a set. I only need 3-4 specific sizes .
I have had good luck with quality Dewalt bits.
We used Dormer short length split point HSS when I worked trailer wreck rebuild. That's drilling thousands of holes weekly. When I fabbed a trailer wall that is 3000 holes drilled in aluminum, steel, and stainless. They are quality bits. If you burn them up you are doing it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
A couple of mine that, once I used, I couldn't believe how easy they made things
Wire end strippers with overlapping teeth and an opener spring. They get in tight spaces really well. I don't bother using anything else to strip wires. So compact and easy to use.
Hand tool Pliers Tool Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part

Angle air die grinder with a 3" velcro pad and a rotary air valve to control the speed. This thing is awesome for stripping paint, feather edging chips, smoothing sharp edges and polishing. Disks are super cheap and I just buy them by the 100stack. Such an awesome tool. This is just a cheapo HF one I've been using since 2006.
Fluid Bottle Gas Auto part Liquid

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
Before you open the spoiler on this one look at it and try to figure out what is. It came with a tool I bought years ago.
Wood Tool Metal Nickel Hand tool

This is a rattler. It is for breaking loose rusted bolts and screws, goes on an air hammer. It has 2 snap rings so your wrench doesn't ride off the hex and a 3/8" drive on the end. It had a 5/16" socket on it when I got it. I think they were using it to break loose stubborn brake bleeder screws.
Metalworking hand tool Gas Tool Stonemason's hammer Hand tool

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
A blind hole bearing puller is used to remove a bearing when the back side of the bearing is inaccessible. The collet slides into the shaft bore and expands to grab on tight. Then the slide hammer is used to pull the bearing out of the casting. Works like a charm.
View attachment 198029

View attachment 198030

View attachment 198031
It came in handy when I was changing the bearings in the right-side transmission of my HS828.
I have used hydraulic pressure to push out a pilot bushing in a crank before. Fill the space with grease and pound a rod slightly smaller than the ID of the bushing into the bushing hole. The grease pushes the bushing out.

1 - 5 of 6 Posts