41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Pin Vises
Rectangle Publication Font Magenta Electric blue

Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Red Material property

If you want to drill a hole with a miniature drill bit the smaller sized bits won't clamp up in a standard chuck. The pin vise holds the miniature drill bit and has flats on its body to fit into a larger chuck.
I also use the pin vice to hold a small piece of drill bank, which I use to remove watch band pins.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
I love specialty tools. The tools you buy for one specific purpose. At first I didn t wanna spend money for them but after wasting umpteen hours trying to mciver a fix with the wrong tools I learned it pays to have the right tool.

It's a nice feeling when you need a special tool and you have it. May only happen once a year but you have it.

some of these tools I made myself to help do something on a Honda snowblower.

·
Registered
485 Posts
For taps I recommend Emuge. For specifics, at work I often run a production job in the CNC out of 6061-T6 aluminum that has 32 tapped holes. The holes are 2-56 unc 2B. Due to breaking through into cross holes we use high spiral cut taps to minimize burring. A good quality tap would yield 7,000 to 8,000 holes before it would break. Those taps would cost in the $18 each range. The Emuge is quite a bit more expensive at around $56 each for this size, but I have yet to find the limit. As of this typing, since switching to the Emuge tap, the original one is still being used producing 41,828 tapped holes and still going strong. Clearly these taps have a superior cutting profile and grind.
Automotive tire Office supplies Wood Font Gas

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I love specialty tools. The tools you buy for one specific purpose. At first I didn t wanna spend money for them but after wasting umpteen hours trying to mciver a fix with the wrong tools I learned it pays to have the right tool.

It's a nice feeling when you need a special tool and you have it. May only happen once a year but you have it.

some of these tools I made myself to help do something on a Honda snowblower.
I absolutely agree. The one specialty tool that has saved me the most time and frustration is the stud. I simply use all thread or cut the head off of a bolt. When I am re-assembling a heavy, hard to reach, or layered assembly I install a couple of studs and hang the gasket and item on the studs. Then install the rest of the bolts and finally replace the studs with the correct bolts. If the repair is one that is done more often, I permanently install a stud that is threaded on both ends and leave them in place in the assembly fastening them with nuts. Then they are there for the next reassembly cycle.
Works great on hard to reach carburetors or heavy exhaust manifolds.
Writing implement Cosmetics Office supplies Wood Art

Wood Household hardware Auto part Screw Office supplies

·
Registered
498 Posts
As for that thirst quenching tool they are getting harder to find with twist top bottles nowadays.
While they still last....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I absolutely agree. The one specialty tool that has saved me the most time and frustration is the stud. I simply use all thread or cut the head off of a bolt. When I am re-assembling a heavy, hard to reach, or layered assembly I install a couple of studs and hang the gasket and item on the studs. Then install the rest of the bolts and finally replace the studs with the correct bolts. If the repair is one that is done more often, I permanently install a stud that is threaded on both ends and leave them in place in the assembly fastening them with nuts. Then they are there for the next reassembly cycle.
Works great on hard to reach carburetors or heavy exhaust manifolds.
View attachment 196426

View attachment 196427
I have seen this before and promised that I would do this. Then I forget and go oh what a great idea. Maybe this time...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
These are two of the most important tools when I work on my snow blower.
The service manual.
Font Parallel Screenshot Technology Web page

And because I'm old my phone.
Photograph Product Rectangle Black Gadget

Taking pictures as I disassemble and repair an item in invaluable. I have taken over 10,000 pictures with this phone and it is less than two years old. The next time I work on an item the filed, photo information really helps me out. I think the manuals need a few more.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
German made Knipex pliers are worth their weight in gold. Pricey.
Knipex tongue and groove pliers are terrific. Well worth the money, and I'm cheap. A few weeks ago I used a clone, not as good. HF has a clone, others as well.

10" Knipex on the left, 12" HF on the right $20
Hand tool Tool Garden tool Font Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
966 Posts
Would love to have a professional style bore scope but it a stretch for me to justify buying one. I needed one a while ago and bought this one for $8 shipped on ebay,. Plugs into any Android phone.

Font Cable Audio equipment Electronic device Wire

Takes images detailed enough to diagnose a plugged cat.

Grey Embellishment Pattern Mesh Woolen

·
Registered
966 Posts
I did pony up for a battery cable crimper. Great addition to the tool collection.

Gas Auto part Machine Automotive wheel system Fixture

Reactions: Toon

·
Registered
966 Posts
This one I built myself. Family has a Christmas tradition of buying gag gifts for each other. A couple of years ago I landed up with two of those selfie sticks, Was going to toss them in the donation bin when I had an idea. By chopping off the swivel heads and using some high grade heat shrink tubing to attach some neodymium magnets I have a 3 and a half foot long magnet that can actually pick up dropped tools vs the auto parts store version that won't pick up chit. It will pick up a long handled 1/2" ratchet and a deep wall socket no sweat.

Office supplies Musical instrument Stationery Writing instrument accessory Metal

Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Taps and tap drills.

When I was in the trade and carrying my tools around, I used to tie the tap drill and tap together with twist ties to save sorting through a bunch of drill bits and taps to find the right pair. It also saved on having to look up the right size as I couldn’t remember them all.

At my bench where I have more room, I keep the sets together in old tooling cases.
Rectangle Wood Tin Font Metal

Now a days it is easier as you can buy drill taps.
Gas Wood Font Metal Fastener

The ratcheting tap handles work a lot better than the old Tee handled wrenches that didn’t ratchet.

If the material being taped was thin, the cordless drill worked very well as a driver if the clutch was set right.
Tool Bicycle part Hand tool Auto part Metalworking hand tool

In the smaller sizes, I like two flute taps better than the 3 or 4 flute taps of the same quality, as they are stronger and less likely to break.
Eye Cosmetics Human body Office supplies Writing instrument accessory

Tapping fluid was important but on the move, we didn’t always have it handy, and an old timer taught me to spit on the tap as it would work better than no lube at all.

I don’t miss hauling my tools around but I look back fondly on getting a tough machine problem solved.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts