Snowblower Forum banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
yes. that is where you push in the tabs to release cable.
I released mine with a small flat screwdriver from the broken lever end. Afterwards was playing around and able to use a pick to push in one side and pull that side out about an 8th of inch and then doing other side. Was just looking for a tool to do this easier.

the head tech at the Honda dealer made his own tool. said Honda does not have a specific tool for this .
My tweezer hack may work. I bent the ends inward at 90 degrees and it fits into those holes. The trick is to line up tabs with the holes.

The shop manual is a little vague ( to me ) on this. They say to use a small flat head screwdriver but how can you if lever is okay and you need to just replace a broken cable? I think they want you to remove lever first.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
My tweezer hack may work. I bent the ends inward at 90 degrees and it fits into those holes.
I have a GearWrench snap ring pliers with interchangeable tips. The some of the 90 degree ones can be placed in any orientation and can be used for the task you're describing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
The Channellock set of snap ring pliers I have will not work for this application for a couple of reasons.
First the bits are hexagonal and when the tips are seated and turned inwards, they are not on the same plane as the handles.
Secondly there is not enough room between the tips to clear the cable collar.
Finger Automotive lighting Thumb Auto part Nail

If your tips are oriented correctly when turned inwards, then I suppose you could shorten them up to function properly.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I don't own this tool but it does look neat ,Princess Auto up here in Canada has it on sale for $12 ,half the price offered by Amazon :

View attachment 197850
First of all, I have to say I love this type of tool.
There are a few aspects of this tool you need to consider.
1 The style of head connection you are showing is larger than the type that flexes in the handle. It requires more room and in tight spaces this might be a problem.
2 If you get that head style try to find one with a screw that tightens the yoke to keep the head from pivoting when you don't want it to, like this one.
Wood Flooring Hardwood Font Wood stain

On a half inch or larger ratchet try to find one that locks the pivot angle as larger sockets have enough weight to cause the head to droop especially as the tool gets older.

Medical equipment Fluid Musical instrument Font Hypodermic needle

This half inch drive ratchet also has an extendable handle which is nice for tight bolts. I picked this one up in Princess Auto, but I haven't seen one there lately.

A short handled one is also handy in tight spaces.
Wood Bicycle part Household hardware Auto part Cylinder

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
I have a GearWrench snap ring pliers with interchangeable tips. The some of the 90 degree ones can be placed in any orientation and can be used for the task you're describing.

Bought this. Thanks. I have a set of snap ring pliers but I'm sure this will come in handy with the interchangeable tips. I like Gearwrench tools.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
Got a FREE 30 day trial for Amazon Prime so guess what I'm doing???
Buying tools and doodads.

Funny thing before AP I got my packages in 2-3 days. Now with AP half my orders are "running late"

good job Amazon......

pisses off poor mail man......he asked me yesterday what was going on since Amazon packs up each order separately instead of all in one box ( don't get that either )
I usually put bottled water and snacks in mailbox for him so he's not that pissed off. haha.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Got a FREE 30 day trial for Amazon Prime so guess what I'm doing???
Buying tools and doodads.

Funny thing before AP I got my packages in 2-3 days. Now with AP half my orders are "running late"

good job Amazon......

pisses off poor mail man......he asked me yesterday what was going on since Amazon packs up each order separately instead of all in one box ( don't get that either )
I usually put bottled water and snacks in mailbox for him so he's not that pissed off. haha.
I wonder if it's because Amazon buys from a lot of different sources in different locations and they just sometimes happen to show up at your place on the same day?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Amazon has been delivering slower than usual lately here in Maryland. I've just started to have some delays when I order from them.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Amazon packs up each order separately instead of all in one box
It's always amazing how much air there is inside an Amazon box. We regularly receive the pair-of-boots-size box with just a small item inside and a ton of bubble wrap.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
A blind hole bearing puller is used to remove a bearing when the back side of the bearing is inaccessible. The collet slides into the shaft bore and expands to grab on tight. Then the slide hammer is used to pull the bearing out of the casting. Works like a charm.
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Camera accessory Table

Wood Bicycle part Floor Flooring Hardwood

Product Air gun Revolver Trigger Office supplies

It came in handy when I was changing the bearings in the right-side transmission of my HS828.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
A blind hole bearing puller is used to remove a bearing when the back side of the bearing is inaccessible. The collet slides into the shaft bore and expands to grab on tight. Then the slide hammer is used to pull the bearing out of the casting. Works like a charm.
View attachment 198029

View attachment 198030

View attachment 198031
It came in handy when I was changing the bearings in the right-side transmission of my HS828.
wow, you are dedicated if you bought this for one job. been meaning to get one so thanks for reminder. It is in my cart on amazon.

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
View attachment 198029

View attachment 198030

View attachment 198031
I have used hydraulic pressure to push out a pilot bushing in a crank before. Fill the space with grease and pound a rod slightly smaller than the ID of the bushing into the bushing hole. The grease pushes the bushing out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Went to our local flea market on Tuesday past, and came across a 100-foot tape measure. It was only $10 bucks and made in Canada, so it had to come home with me. It's getting harder to find North American made tools.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

101 - 120 of 123 Posts