post #1 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 924024 auger belt mods.

Hi all!!

I would like to know if I can mod my auger belt pulley to a wee bit bigger one because as some may know here I need a "special" Ariens belt and they cost way more than normal snowblower belts. If I buy another belt besides Ariens I get a belt that is too tight or just too large and I can't adjust it with the pulley. So is there a way to fix this problem so that I can use any belts besides Ariens? BTW I have a very old and VERY trustworthy Ariens 924024 snowblower.

THANKS for any infos!!!

Serge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG5.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	162473  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Hi all!!

I would like to know if I can mod my auger belt pulley to a wee bit bigger one because as some may know here I need a "special" Ariens belt and they cost way more than normal snowblower belts. If I buy another belt besides Ariens I get a belt that is too tight or just too large and I can't adjust it with the pulley. So is there a way to fix this problem so that I can use any belts besides Ariens? BTW I have a very old and VERY trustworthy Ariens 924024 snowblower.

THANKS for any infos!!!

Serge

there are so many belts available that would work its just silly
no need to modify the pulley
thousands apon thousand of blowers have your setup with no issues with belts

https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/belts/#result
post #3 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 78
Likes (Given): 229
Likes (Received): 180
That looks like your typical 924 dual pulley that is 2.75" in diameter on the auger side. The OEM belt, part number 07232100, is a 1/2" x 36.5" belt.

When you buy non-Ariens belts, are you positive that you're buying the right size?

As far as moving up to a larger pulley, you'll have to calculate the increase in the circumference of the new pulley.

The following assumptions are being made before these calculations are given.

When you're using a 2.75" pulley and a new stock 36.5" belt, the tensioner idler pulley should be at the lowest settting (unlike your attached picture which is at max tension).

Let's say that the belt is wrapped 1/2 around the pulley, so the circumference of a half circle would be the radius x Pi

The circumference of 2.75" pulley divided by 2 = 4.3175"

If you were to move up to a 3" pulley, you're looking at 4.71" -> a difference of +.3925" -> If so, you should be able to use a 1/2" x 37" belt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 104
Judging by your picture, looks like the belt simply shredded...... Also looking at the inside flange on the tension pulley, it looks Razor sharp. And as others noted, the tension pulley is at the max adjustment. Looks to me like the pivot for the tension pulley is worn out and That's where the problem lies. You don't have a belt problem, but a tension pulley problem. remove the return spring and see how much slop is in the pivot.....then get the proper belt After you fix the pulley problem. And you can get an aftermarket belt...... not a special, one-of-a-kind, high priced, specialty belt.

GLuck, Jay
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 147
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzAuto1 View Post
Judging by your picture, looks like the belt simply shredded...... Also looking at the inside flange on the tension pulley, it looks Razor sharp. And as others noted, the tension pulley is at the max adjustment. Looks to me like the pivot for the tension pulley is worn out and That's where the problem lies. You don't have a belt problem, but a tension pulley problem. remove the return spring and see how much slop is in the pivot.....then get the proper belt After you fix the pulley problem. And you can get an aftermarket belt...... not a special, one-of-a-kind, high priced, specialty belt.

GLuck, Jay
Following the idea in red, there is this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...grade-kit.html in post #6 @ELaw suggests the pivot for the tension pulley arm may need to be replaced. The fix that was carried out by the poster @SteveD was a new arm. You may want to check that out.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 122
Likes (Received): 432
@Serge,

Indeed, I have repaired that idler pulley bracket on 2 of the 924's, as they wear out with using them over the years. I took off the bracket and welded and then ground down to original size.

If these idler pulleys are not aligned when they are engaged, it will grind the edge of the pulley, and thus premature failure of the belt.

BTW, whenever I rarely change a belt, I use the Gates PoweRated V Belt Green ones, as they always last. Many people also use the D&D Kevlar Blue V Belt with great success.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 104
Here, Check this post out. It's how I fix these properly. I can try posting pix tomorrow.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...er-pulley.html

GLuck, Jay
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi all, sorry for not coming back for responses THANKS all!! I have fond a problem when I was replacing the belt, it was the bearing on the auger shaft that was busted that gave me problems with my belt so now all thing are nice and tight as it should!!! I have another problem but I will make another post.

THANKS ALL!!!

Serge
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 09:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 122
Likes (Received): 432
Yeah, having a busted out pulley bearing on your bucket would be an obvious problem. You should have been aware of that way before it busted out, as it should have been giving you some noisy warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page